Psalm 91 has long been one of my favorite portions of Scripture and this morning I was reminded why. Did you know that tucked inside the 16 verses of this Psalm are no less than 20 promises?
There are nineteen instances of what God WILL do for the believer, and one "I WILL" on the part of the believer. That makes 20 promises. Nineteen for us to receive and one for us to do. I'd say that's a generous ratio!
Let's take a closer look:
1. Whoever lives under the shelter of the Most High WILL remain in the shadow of the Almighty. (vs.1)
(I will be protected by God's sheltering "shadow".)
2. I WILL say of the LORD, You are my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.(vs.2)
(God is a refuge, a place of rest and peace and I can trust Him--and tell this to world.)
3. He is the one who WILL rescue you from hunters' traps and from the deadly plagues.(vs.3)
(If someone tries to trip me up, God has my back. If danger surrounds me, even death-traps, God will rescue me.)
4. He WILL cover you with his feathers,
(like a mother hen covering her chicks)
5. and under his wings you WILL find refuge. His truth is your shield and armor.(vs.4)
(He will keep me safe from harm; He shields me from dangers I don't even know exist.)
6. You do not need to fear terrors of the night, arrows that fly during the day,
plagues that roam the dark, epidemics that strike at noon. They WILL not come near you...(vs.6-7)
(Wow! I can't even add to these!)
7. No harm WILL come to you.(vs.10)
(No ultimate harm--I can't lose my place in the kingdom!)
8. No sickness WILL come near your house. (vs.10)
(Have you stood firm on this promise? It's good to remember this in winter!)
9. He WILL put his angels in charge of you to protect you in all your ways.(vs.11)
10. They WILL carry you in their hands so that you never hit your foot against a rock.(vs.12)
(Perhaps they already have. Nothing to say we'll realize when it's happening!)
11. You WILL step on lions and cobras.(vs.13)
(How cool is that? Get thee behind me, Satan!)
12. You WILL trample young lions and snakes.(vs.13)
(In Jesus' Name)
13. Because you love me, I WILL rescue you.(vs.14)
(I can depend on the LORD.)
14. I WILL protect you because you know my name. (vs.14)
(Another instance of sheltering by the Almighty on my behalf.)
15. When you call to me, I WILL answer you.(vs.15)
(I never pray in vain.)
16. I WILL be with you when you are in trouble. (vs.15)
(I never face things alone.)
17. I WILL save you and honor you.(vs.15)
(No matter what, through thick and thin, and when others don't.)
18. I WILL satisfy you with a long life. (vs.16)
(I don't worry about dying--even if my earthly tent should fade, my "long life" goes on and on.)
19. I WILL show you (vs.16)
(God speaks to me)
20. How I WILL save you. (vs.16)
(and reassures me!)
Wasn't that fun? This is an amazing Psalm. What promises are speaking to you today?
What promises do you want to remember? Write them down somewhere now.
For all the promises of God in Christ are yea and Amen!" (2 Cor.1:20)
I will probably always continue to turn to the 91st Psalm as I have since I became a Christian.
I love to recite this Psalm if I have a sleepless night, for instance. What about you?
Do you love this Psalm? Do you have another favorite from the Psalms? Share your thoughts with us. Gail will choose one commenter to get my short story "Coach and Four: Allisandra's Tale" for free, via email.
Join my mailing list to receive TWO chances to win one of my regency romances for free! You'll also get my monthly illustrated ezine, "Reflections" with its own free download once you join.
LINORE'S BIO, SHORT STORY AND BOOKS
Linore Rose Burkard was born and raised in New York City, where she attended the City University of New York (Queens College), earning a magna cum laude degree in English Literature. Ms. Burkard now lives in Ohio with her husband and five children. She homeschooled her children for ten years, is an avid fan of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer, and delights in bringing the Regency alive for readers with light-hearted adventure, faith and romance.
THE HOUSE IN GROSVENOR SQUARE--IRCC AWARD WINNER!
THE COUNTRY HOUSE COURTSHIP