Skip to main content

Looking In The Window: Be The Best Or Do Your Best?




This week I'm giving away a Kindle copy of Stopped Cold. To enter to win leave an email address and a comment below.


An MC speaking on a Christian radio station last week reported that a great number of young people  are stressed today because they believe they must be perfect. According to the radio’s source, they are anxious about getting into the best colleges, making the best grades and finding a perfect wife.

Well, I couldn’t help but think of Stopped Cold, my recent re-release that tells readers they don’t have to be number one for God to love them. God’s given each of us a gift or gifts to use for him.

 I wrote Stopped Cold because I’ve had the misfortune of knowing young people whose inability to cope with being less than the best resulted in devastating results. They range from youngsters who had difficulty coping because they didn’t come in first in a race or receive all A’s to young people who attempted or committed suicide.  The drive seemed to originate from different sources—parents, siblings, peers or within. I wondered if the phenomenon had crossed my path more than that of others, so I did a little research.

Among the statistics I found, the CDC says “suicide among teens and young adults has nearly tripled since the 1940’s.”

In “A Young Athlete’s World of Pain and Where It Led,” published on June 22, 2016, in “The New York Times,” Tim Rohan tells the story of a young football player suffering from concussions. He didn’t mention it to anyone because he thought it wasn’t the manly thing to do. He ended up killing himself.

According to the Westminster Catechism, which I studied in the 1940’s and 50’s, man’s chief end is “to glorify God and enjoy him forever.”

I love what a friend of mine told her child. “You don’t need to be the best but always do your best.” That’s a healthy way to look at our competitive world. It pushes us to live up to our potential, and we often achieve success beyond our goals, or not, but in the end, we’re still a child of God. Using our gift or gifts for Him to the best of our abilities gives our lives purpose and makes us worthwhile. Perfection, winning and losing don’t define our self-worth.


About Stopped Cold

Stopped Cold is a Grace Awards Finalist, a 4th place finisher in the 16th Annual Preditors and Editors Readers Poll and was an Amazon Best Seller in Christian Teen and Young Adult Mysteries and Thrillers for one month. 



Things aren't what they seem in peaceful Mistville, North Carolina.
Margaret McWhorter enjoys a laid-back Freshman year in high school swimming and hanging out with friends—until the day her brother, Sean, suffers a stroke from taking steroids. Now he's lying unconscious in a hospital.

Anger sets a fire for retribution inside her, and Margaret vows to make the criminals pay. Even the cop on the case can't stop her from investigating. Looking for justice, she convinces two friends, Jimmy and Emily to join her in a quest that takes them through a twisted, drug-filled sub-culture they discover deep in the woods behind the school. Time and again they walk a treacherous path, and come face-to-face with danger.

All the while Margaret really wants to cure Sean, heal the hate inside, and open her heart to love.

Meriwether, the high school in Stopped Cold, has its own twitter site. Margaret would love to have you follow it at Meriwether Christian @ MeriwetherCS
(https://twitter.com/MeriwetherCS/followers)

Buy Stopped Cold on

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

Kobo


Comments

Janusz Ozjasz said…
This is very nice and detailed article, however it doesn't cover everything. If you are looking for best parenting tips & tricks reseource you should visit this Parenting Blog where they publish valuable and beneficial articles daily, that gives new and better perspective on Parenting and childcare.
Mary Preston said…
My parents always said for us to just do our best. Sound advice.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out the Window: Welcome Loree Lough

Loree will be giving away a copy of her new book, Beautiful Bandit . To enter to win leave your email address with a comment.I'll put the names on pieces of paper and have my husband draw one on Monday night, July 5th. Hi Loree, first tell us a little about yourself. Before I do that, I’d like to take just a moment and thank Gail for inviting me to her blog. It’s an honor and a joy to be here! A little about me, hmm? Well, I have brown eyes and blondish hair, I’m 5’1” tall, and weigh…. Thank the Lord those tidbits aren’t what you’re looking for! My dad worked for the Veterans Administration, so the family lived in a slew of cities. I held a myriad of careers to pay my way through school, and all that working and moving is probably responsible for my ability to talk to just about anybody, anywhere. For the past 20 years, though, I’ve lived in the same house and worked at the same job: Writing. And I love both. Being a people person is definitely a plus. Were you an avid reader as a ...

Looking Out the Window: Danele Rotharmel Introduces Time Trap, The Second Book In The Time Counselor Chronicles

A Warm Welcome to Danele Rotharmel She'll give away a signed print copy of Time Trap and a “White Rose Prize Package”  It contains the following items. (U.S. residents only) • A white rose teacup and saucer • A white rose journal (Faith Sees the Invisible) • A white rose notepad To enter to win leave a comment and an e-mail address below She also shares a favorite Bible verse and recipe To Nourish the Soul 1 Corinthians 9:24, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” Fond Memories And A Yummy Pecan Pie Recipe  Pecan pie and 1 Corinthians 9:24 always remind me of my great-grandmother Kathryn. Kathryn was an extremely spunky lady. She worked hard, and if she wanted something done, she went out and did it herself. She taught herself carpentry skills and created elaborate shelves, bedroom closets, and kitchen cupboards. She even took the...

Looking Out the Window: Watch Me by Christa Allan

                                                                                                                                                                      ...