Skip to main content

Looking Out the Window: Welcome Anita Mellott




Anita Mellott shares a devotional about trust from her new book, School Is Where the Home Is, 180 Devotions for Parents


She'll give away an e-book.
To enter to win leave a comment and an email address.

He’ll Catch You


“I will trust and not be afraid.” (Isaiah 12:2)

“How do I know you’ll catch me?” Seven-year-old Caleb peered down from a tiny ledge five feet off the ground, a deep gorge behind him.

“Look at us,” yelled a homeschool co-op buddy. A dozen kids and adults faced each other as their intertwined arms formed a safety net.

Caleb had been the first in line for Trust Fall, a team-building exercise for our co-op kids at camp. Now he took a half step backward, bringing his back up against the solid tree trunk.

“Well, I trust you with my secrets,” his voice faltered. “But not to catch me.”

“But we’re your friends,” a chorus of voices replied.

“You can do it, Caleb,” the adults encouraged.

He sighed and turned around to face the tree. He closed his eyes, leaned backward, and with clenched fists, dropped off the ledge to our cheers.

Seconds later, a redhead popped up from the carpet of intertwined arms.

“That wasn’t too bad.”A huge grin spread across his face as he jumped down.

I’m so much like that, I thought, as we walked away. I trust God with my deepest longings and struggles. Yet when he leads me to step out, I pull back.

Isaiah 12:2 is a simple but profound reminder that God is trustworthy. The word trust implies a place of security. The remainder of the verse gives the reason not to fear: “The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” Trusting is a choice to find strength in the Lord. It’s faith in action. When God calls, I can leap knowing that “underneath are the everlasting arms” (Deuteronomy 33:27).

Digging deeper: Can you leap with abandon into God’s arms? Reflect on Psalm 91.




Excerpted from School Is Where the Home Is: 180 Devotions for Parents by Anita Mellott, copyright © 2011 by Anita Mellott. Used by permission of Judson Press, www.judsonpress.com.

School Is Where the Home Is: 180 Devotions for Parents is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Lifeway and other major on-line and retail book stores.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/School-Where-Home-Devotions-Parents/dp/0817016961/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307581127&sr=8-1


Christian Book Distributors: http://www.christianbook.com/school-where-home-devotions-for-parents/anita-mellott/9780817016968/pd/7016968?item_code=WW&netp_id=900184&event=ESRCN&view=details

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/anita-mollott

Lifeway: http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/product.asp?isbn=0817016961&mscssid=QVEFR1ET6DHJ8J0A93VB6EKVGBF45MS1

Judson Press: http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=15451

ANITA'S BIO

A homeschooling mom of several years, Anita Mellott lives its joys and challenges. With post-graduate degrees in Communications and Journalism, she worked as an editor with Habitat for Humanity International, headed the Department of Journalism at Mt. Carmel College, Bangalore, India, and did a stint in public relations and advertising. Her articles have appeared in various publications including Homeschool Enrichment, Novel Rocket, Crosswalk.com, The Christian Post, and magazines in India. When she's not homeschooling, she blogs at From the Mango Tree: http://www.anitamellott.com/

Comments

Great insight on trusting Father. Oh how hard it is to fling oneself out into space -- but the "catch" is breathtaking. Am praying your devotional will touch many people and give them new ways of walking in His love.
June Foster said…
Hi Anita, I met you last year at the ACFW conference and chatted awhile with you right before my appointment with an editor. Your calming influence helped me so much. Blessings to you and your family. June Foster
Connie Almony said…
Nice reminder to trust Him in ALL things!
Very nice thoughts. I, too, trust God with my deepest thoughts and struggles but find myself worried about trying new things out in my life, just taking that one step.

(Don't worry about entering me in the contest. I don't have an e-reader.)
I've read parts of this book. I enjoyed how Anita put her heart and soul into the devotions throughout the book. It's honest, touching and inspirational!

I highly recommend this devotional!

Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network
Finbar said…
Home school is the wave of the future. This is a sad commentary on public education in America but the truth must be told. As religion has left the public school systems, many things, mostly unwanted, have entered. Keep the Faith in all you do.... always.
Anita Mellott said…
Thank you so much, Linda.
June: I remember chatting with you. Thank you for stopping by.
CBalmony: Yes, it's a reminder I need almost constantly;).
Linda: Thank you for your kind words.
Nora: I so appreciate you. Thanks for your encouragement.
Thank you, Finbar!

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Out the Window: Welcome Loree Lough

Loree will be giving away a copy of her new book, Beautiful Bandit . To enter to win leave your email address with a comment.I'll put the names on pieces of paper and have my husband draw one on Monday night, July 5th. Hi Loree, first tell us a little about yourself. Before I do that, I’d like to take just a moment and thank Gail for inviting me to her blog. It’s an honor and a joy to be here! A little about me, hmm? Well, I have brown eyes and blondish hair, I’m 5’1” tall, and weigh…. Thank the Lord those tidbits aren’t what you’re looking for! My dad worked for the Veterans Administration, so the family lived in a slew of cities. I held a myriad of careers to pay my way through school, and all that working and moving is probably responsible for my ability to talk to just about anybody, anywhere. For the past 20 years, though, I’ve lived in the same house and worked at the same job: Writing. And I love both. Being a people person is definitely a plus. Were you an avid reader as a ...

Looking Out the Window: Danele Rotharmel Introduces Time Trap, The Second Book In The Time Counselor Chronicles

A Warm Welcome to Danele Rotharmel She'll give away a signed print copy of Time Trap and a “White Rose Prize Package”  It contains the following items. (U.S. residents only) • A white rose teacup and saucer • A white rose journal (Faith Sees the Invisible) • A white rose notepad To enter to win leave a comment and an e-mail address below She also shares a favorite Bible verse and recipe To Nourish the Soul 1 Corinthians 9:24, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” Fond Memories And A Yummy Pecan Pie Recipe  Pecan pie and 1 Corinthians 9:24 always remind me of my great-grandmother Kathryn. Kathryn was an extremely spunky lady. She worked hard, and if she wanted something done, she went out and did it herself. She taught herself carpentry skills and created elaborate shelves, bedroom closets, and kitchen cupboards. She even took the...

Looking Out the Window: Watch Me by Christa Allan

                                                                                                                                                                      ...